Lecture 1: FindMax, Permutations, Harmonic and Stirling Numbers
- Summation notation, big Oh notation
- Natural logarithm, factorial function
- Recurrence relations, discrete probability,
- Lists and tables.
- Graham, Knuth, Patashnik, sec. 6-1 and 6-4.
- (maple online tutorial and help).
- New users tour
- Introduction to worksheets
- Help guide
- Maple programming, lists, and tables.
- Maple arithmetic (fractions, floating point)
- Names vs. values and evaluation
- factorial function and growth rate
- cycle type and partitions
- Stirling numbers
- Harmonic numbers
- Analysis of FindMax program.
- average number of updates
- probability distribution.
Maple worksheets and programs
max.mw - Maple worksheet for lecture 1
Created: Sept. 25, 2006 by firstname.lastname@example.org
- Install Maple 10 and peruse documentation and tutorials.
- Review Maple syntax and data structures.