Lecture 9: Strong Pseudoprimes and a Probabalistic Primality Test
- Review Fermat's Theorem
- Strong Pseudoprimes
- Quadratic residues, Wilson's theorem and Euler's test.
- Probabalistic primality testing
- strongpprime.mw - Maple worksheet illustrating
pseudoprimes, Euler's test and a probabilistic primality test.
Created: May 10 2008 by jjohnson AT cs DOT drexel DOT edu
- Experiment to verify that for a prime number that the strong pseudoprime test is
- Using Maple, empirically verify Wilson's lemma and Euler's test. What happens when the
input is not prime?
- Investigate for several composite numbers that some of the numbers that are relatively
prime to the number do NOT satisfy the strong psuedoprime test. How many such numbers
fail the test and how many pass the test?
- Exc. 6.11, 6.12, 6.14, 6.15, 6.21 from the text.