Midterm Exam Studyguide
CS 540/ECE 621 High Performance Computing
Instructor: Jeremy Johnson
Exam Date: Take home exam 11/10 - 11/14
- Lectures 1 through
- Chapters 3, 5, 6, and 9 of CSAP
Format of the Exam
The exam will be a take home exam and may involve some simple programming
or benchmarking. The exam must be done independently (you may not discuss
the exam with anyone other than the instructor). Questions (especially
those asking for clarification) may be posted on the class discussion board and
if appropriate I will answer them. Other students may not respond to
questions regarding the exam.
There will be
- One question related instruction set architectures, counting
instructions, and the affect of algorithm selection and compiler optimization
on instruction count.
- One question program transformations (e.g. loop unrolling) and optimizations.
- There will be one question dealing with cache, counting cache misses,
and the affect of algorithm selection on cache performance.
- There will be one question on benchmarking, performance counters,