Lecture: Scanner and Parser Generators
- Chapter 2 (Programming Language Syntax) from Scott.
We have now seen how to describe syntax using regular expressions and
grammars and how to create scanners and parsers, by hand and using
automated tools. In this lecture we provide more details on parsing
and scanning and indicate how these tools work.
- Scanners and DFA
- Regular Expressions and NDFA
- Equivalence of DFA and NDFA
- Regular Languages and the limitations of regular expressions
- Recursive Descent Parsing
- LL(1) Grammars and Tob-down (Predictive) Parsing
- LR(1) Grammars and Bottom-up Parsing
Created: April 21, 2011 (updated June 7, 2012) by jjohnson AT cs DOT drexel DOT DOT edu